Thursday, March 6, 2008

Where To Find Career-Wear (Part Three)

For those of you who are willing to pay more for a little more style in your workwear but don't want to take out a second mortgage, there are still a lot of options for the tweener set. Here are my favorite mid-priced sources for workwear, though of course you can find great deals on the sales racks.

Zara--The Spanish international chain is famous for bringing runway knockoffs to its stores within weeks and its sizes run up to XL, which fits 14-16. I love looking here for jackets, skirts, and blouses. Pants are a little tricky for me and armholes can be small, but do give it a try.

Banana Republic--This store used to be a lot better for those up in the 14-16 range, but XL shirts, sweaters, and jackets are still relatively easy-to-find.

Talbot's--There was a time when I wouldn't be caught dead in Talbot's. To me, it was dull WASP-wear for middle-aged ladies. But in recent years, their stuff has gotten a lot better. Size 16 misses/XL is no problem to find. If you need to go a little bigger, there's Talbot's Woman, its plus sister store.

Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft--I used to swear by Ann Taylor, although in recent years I haven't liked its stuff as much. Still, I can find some very nice things for work...Ann Taylor carries up to 16, while some Lofts carry up to 18.

Anthropologie--Want to give your work wardrobe something a little different? Is your workplace boho-friendly? Anthro can be overpriced IMO but aside from finding deals in its sales racks, you can find stuff that's not terribly expensive and nice enough for casual work environments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ann Taylor also goes up to 18 on the Web site. Rarely, returns show up in the stores. I prefer the main AT to the Loft.