Sunday, November 18, 2007

It's Been A While...and Holiday Parties

Don't worry, I haven't abandoned this site! I had internet issues and I was busy with other things.

The only thing I can comment on as of late is the issue with holiday parties.

Many of us attend at least one Christmas-time party, and maybe a New Year's Party. Despite what the magazines and stores try to sell us, not very many of us go to fancy-pants, semi-formal or formal/black tie events. Family gatherings don't require tuxes. People don't put on prom dresses for New Year's anymore. Every office party I've attended has only been slightly dressed up.

Of course they want you to buy this stuff on top of your other gift-giving purchases, telling you that strappy shoes, accessories, etc. are must-haves. Sure it's nice to have these things on-hand in case you are invited to an event where you're required to dress up. But those events can come up any time of the year. And in all likelihood you'll only go to a couple of them.

2 comments:

pteilman said...

I have a couple dressy parties to go to this year, but I really put some thought into my outfit this year instead of buying something really party specific that I'll only wear once.

I bought some slouchy, gray flannel Facconable trousers and I totally splurged on a black silk and cream lace Marc Jacobs top. Great separates that I'll be able to use for years. I'll "holiday" the outfit up with some accessories.

I do enjoy looking at the party stuff though, but it hasn't been my lifestyle for years!

lazypadawan said...

Oooh, that sounds pretty :).