Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Do we really have an easier time than plus-sized women?

I've heard it said that we "tweeners" don't have the same problems as the fuller-figured ladies because we have more choices than those who must exclusively shop for plus sizes. We can go into the same stores as the thinner chicks and pretty much wear the same things they do, while plus-sized women are trapped by limited choices in where to shop and the variety of clothing available.

Having seen what's available for the plus-sized set, it's definitely better than it was even 10 years ago but it is definitely true there is still not enough stylish and high-quality wear for these women, at least compared to the rest of the market. The higher the size number, the slimmer the pickings get and the yuckier the designs.

But is it really easy street if you're a "tweener?" Sure, we have more to pick from...in theory. Just because it's there doesn't mean you can wear it. Sometimes the larges and extra larges fit more like smalls and mediums. Sometimes the pants or skirts just aren't flattering on a woman with large legs or a wide posterior even though the number says it's supposed to fit. Sometimes the tops aren't meant for a woman with a large bust or a little bit of a tummy.

And in some ways, it's worse. It's like Tantalus who can see the water and the grapes but can't have any of it. At least if you're a size 28, you know nothing in the regular stores is going to fit you. But when you're just over the line, they wave at you, teasing you, taunting you because the world of Everybody Else is juuuust beyond your reach. And besides, who the heck designs something with size 14 as the median? When you look at something on a mannequin or in a magazine, you really have no idea how it would look on you. A dress might look sweet on a gal who's lithe but look frumpy on you. Believe me, I live it every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, it's somewhat easier. I tend to buy my tops in straight sizes and bottoms in plus sizes, so my big resources are clearance centers for department stores, as well as deep sales.
I must say, however, my sartorial taste is conservative (think Upper East Side lady who lunches), so I may not be as challenged as people who are more trend-sensitive.

pteilman said...

I suppose it's a little easier. I think finding my size (14/16) in long lengths is more of a challenge. Tops and jackets aren't much of an issue for me, but finding long pants has been a lifelong struggle!