Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Where can we go?

Just now, I was looking at Lucky magazine's redesigned website(http://www.luckymag.com) and I noticed there's a street fashion section where you can "be inspired...by wildly cool girls" in Brooklyn, NYC.

Wildly cool girls? How very "Sassy" magazine circa 1990.

Anyway, the women pictured all appear to be under 25, and thin. Now if you happen to fall into both of those categories, great. But most of us out there do not. So where are we supposed to find inspiration?

Being at the upper end of straight sizing means there's no website or message board that suits you 100%. Or even 85%. I do go to a plus size board or two, but you're there with size 24 women who have different issues than you do. And they're not always positive places to be for a lot of emotional and social reasons. I also go to a lot of mainstream boards and sites and well, I don't feel like I fit in those sites either. Sure you can get great info on accessories, trends, sales, and the stuff I can fit into. They certainly have their value. But you also feel a little left out. On some sites, there's a prevalent attitude that anything and everything is solely for the young and thin. When they're dominated by 22-year-olds, it's easy to think that way.

(Note: This does not mean I advocate dressing like a teenager when you are not one anymore.)

The closest thing I've found to a site that addresses the real-life consumer, and not necessarily just the young and/or slight, is Budget Fashionista. It would be nice if there were more!

No comments: