Friday, September 7, 2007

Note to manufacturers: We Need Bigger Armholes

My arms are not that big, yet I've been having a devil of a time finding shirts that aren't meant for women with skinny arms. I'm sure some of you know how it is...you pick up a size 12 or 14 or XL shirt off the rack and while the rest of it fits all right, it's so tight on your arms you feel like the circulation is being cut off. Last weekend I tried on a denim jacket in XL and the arms were as tight as a jacket meant for an XS girl.

I know there are those of you out there who will say, "Hey, I'm a 14 and my arms are thin as a rail! I need the bigger shirts for my tummy! I need the bigger shirts to fit my boobs!"

Be that as it may, sizes are based on averages. Chances are if you're a double digit or L/XL in tops, it's because you're that size in proportion to your chest, tummy, shoulder width, arms, etc.. Most lines made for misses recognize that. The lower-cost lines, due to their cost-cutting designs/manufacturing methods, and what I call the "hipster" lines, who think "L" means you're just taller and leaner, do not. It's worse with shirts that have fitted or capped sleeves. Plus-sized shirts may not be a good option because the arms and just about everything else are too big and baggy.

I suppose I could exercise more to tone up my arms, but wouldn't more muscle just make them bigger?

No comments: