Sunday, September 9, 2007

Wearing Man Jeans

For a while, I've meant to post about one of my oddest fashion secrets. You see, while finding premium denim has become easier than it was a year or two ago for the curvy among us, our options are still more limited than it would be for thinner women or than if we wanted to wear inexpensive denim.

It all started more than a year ago when I saw on Lucky magazine's forum a post from someone who had lost quite a bit of weight but when she was a size 16, she used to buy her Seven For All Mankinds and so forth from the men's department since the waist sizes are bigger. "Grr, why should I have to do that?" I thought.

Well, a few months later I was at Nordstrom Rack and in the men's department was a nice pile of True Religion corduroy Joeys for the low, low price of $80. Lo and behold, they had a 36 waist, which is about my size. I tried them on and...gasp...I could get them on! It was all too good to turn down. So, a habit was born.

A couple of months later, I returned to Nordstrom Rack and there was a pile of Seven For All Mankinds in the men's department for the low, low price of $89. And one in my size. I couldn't believe my luck. I liked my first pair so much that when I found another pair of slim leg, dark wash Sevens for the clearance price of $49, I cheerfully picked it up. Then last spring, I bought the A-pocket Sevens. In between, I found a pair of William Rasts for $79; hey, those things retail for $250. How could I turn that down?

Then I set my sights on getting a pair of Rock & Republics. Unfortunately, you don't find those in the men's section at the Rack, and believe me, I've looked. They're a dime a dozen in the women's sizes at Saks Off Fifth but not in the men's section. My only option was finding them on sale elsewhere (like heck I was going to pay full fare for those puppies). But if I'm not able to try them on, how do I know how they're going to fit? Well, my solution was going to Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom, and pretending to be interested in getting a pair for my "boyfriend." (I'm not dating anyone now, and if my track record has anything to show, anybody I would be dating would consider WalMart Wranglers a "luxury" brand.) "So, do those stretch much?" "How's the fit around the leg?" "He hates low rise jeans. How do the rises run?" Then in June I managed to find a pair of the "Neil" style on sale on NeimanMarcus.com. I love the dark wash and the R's on the back are more subtle. Perfect.

With that, I think I may be ending my run on man jeans. I've reached critical mass in my jeans collection as it is and I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. But for those of you who are thinking, "Wow, what an awesome idea" here are some tips based on my experiences.

1. Shop outlets first--You'll get way better prices and there's only one dressing room for the entire store so nobody will look at you funny if you walk off with them from the men's section.

2. Try before you buy, if you can--These are obviously cut for a guy and men tend not to have big booties, generous thighs or wide, curvy hips. Don't be surprised if you have to go up a size from what you think would fit to compensate for the difference in fit.

3. Advantages of man jeans:

a) Roomy, relaxed fit--If prefer a more roomy fit than most women's jeans, you will love man jeans. On you they will have what they call a boyfriend fit (women's jeans ironically cut to fit more like man jeans). Undeniably comfy and you won't have to worry about your breath being cut off.

b) Wider leg--If you have big legs, man jeans tend to have wider legs so they'll look more balanced on you. None of that sticking to your saddlebags nonsense.

c) Bigger rear pockets--Bigger pockets will look more in proportion and more flattering to your booty.

d) Better prices on sale and at outlets--For some reason, this is true. Check 'em out and compare.

4. Disadvantages of man jeans:

a) Gaping around the waist--If you're a pear shape, this can be a problem. But it's a problem with women's jeans as well. Nothing a belt or a tailor can't solve most of the time.

b) Some man jeans leave some room for the junk up front, if you know what I mean, that can look a little funny on a lady.

c) One can better appreciate a great pair of jeans cut for a curvy woman's body (i.e. Svoboda or Paige sorta-plus) over man jeans 99% of the time. They are going to look a little boyish after all.

With all of that said, my favorite of the man jeans I've purchased are the Rock & Republics. They fit great and make my legs look awesome. If you're going to buy only one, try the R&R in Neil dark wash. If you want a more casual jean, go for the Seven For All Mankinds.

No comments: